Social Media for Events
Last night I had the privilege of chairing the Manchester Social Media Surgery and I came away learning a lot. The Social Media Surgery is a free monthly event that features a panel of experienced digital and social media marketers and usually somebody who isn’t an expert but is using Social Media to produce real benefits for their business. I attended as a participant for the first time in July 2010 and I am grateful that I did; I’d been reading about how small businesses had to be on Facebook and I’d already set up a Twitter account for my business (even though I had absolutely no idea what to do with it!). Sitting and listening to experts and practitioners at that event, I came away with what was probably best described as an ’emerging social media strategy’ scribbled on the back of a post-it pad. There is so much conflicting advice about Social Media that I really benefited from listening to solid advice and having the chance to ask questions about my own situation.
My reflection on last night:
- Social Media is incredibly powerful
- Social Media can allow you to do many things at no cost (or for very low cost)
- Anybody can now do things that were once the preserve of large companies with a big budget
- Video is surprisingly easy to capture, produce, and share
- It is easy to use the power of Social Media to do the wrong things, so advice can be very helpful